Steinklotz literally means «stone block», evoking the rocks so characteristic of this terroir.
In his chronicle about the History of the Franks, Grégoire de Tours says that in 589, the King Childebert found out his governess and lover were plotting against him and condemned the former to turn the mill which produced the flour and the latter, after cutting off her ears, had the lifelong sentence of caring for the closed royal vineyards.
In 595, the son of Childebert, Thierry II, became Duke of Burgundy after having spent all his youth in Marlenheim. Some people believe that if the Marlenheim wine-growing area is mainly planted with Pinot Noir it’s because the latter is the emblematic grape variety in Burgundy.
La dislocation du pouvoir des mérovingiens laisse une foule de propriétaires sur le vignoble de Marlenheim bénéficiaires des largesses royales . But the Haslach abbey, among others, laid claim on their numerous vineyards based on the donations from King Dagobert granted in 613.
Besides the monarchs and the Haslach abbey, the abbeys of Wissembourg, Marmoutier and Andlau shared the wine-growing area, until the city of Strasbourg became the owner of this locality from the 13th century to the French Revolution.
During the 16th century, with the invention of the printer, poets and writers became inspired by the boni vini rubri. Fischart qualified Marlenheim wine as a «delight», referring to the red wine from Saint Hippolyte: Roter Marlheimer und von S. Bild, o wie milt . The chronicler Bernard Hertzog cited Marlenheim in 1592 as the town of good wine: Das Stäten Marley ist berümbt von Gewächs gutes Roten Weins
According to legend, the Marlenheim chapel was built in 1683 by three brothers who, during a storm at sea, had made a wish. S If they were saved, they would build, upon their return, a chapel in their village. So the Marlenheim chapel was built and enlarged in 1772 by the first parish priest, Ignace Klein. The Stations of the Cross within the chapel were edified in the same years, financed by the rich wine-makers in the village.